Two Weeks.
A lot can happen in two weeks. So much so that for a moment, I felt pretty overwhelmed by everything happening around me. With a trip on the horizon to co-lead the University of Florida campus-based session of LeaderShape, I was busy wrapping things up at work knowing I'd be out for a full week as I move into my busiest season and navigating some stress and anxiety I was feeling about a number of things.
A week before I was set to leave for Florida, my grandfather, who had been ill, took a turn for the worse and was moved into hospice. With my grandmother by his side, he slipped into a coma and a few days later, passed away. I was torn between this responsibility I felt to my family to be there for my grandmother, dad, and rest of the family and my responsibility to LeaderShape -- the five cluster facilitators and 60 participants who were looking to me to help them live in a world of possibility.
I visited my grandfather twice in hospice. I sat by his bedside and held his hand, told him I loved him, prayed for him, and even joined 10 members of my extended family on Wednesday evening in a toast to honor him. He passed a few hours later. Though I was unable to attend his funeral that Saturday, I joined the family for a dinner Thursday evening to honor him and have been thinking of my family since. Not being there for the funeral was tough for me but my heart was there.
And then I departed for Florida. Though my heart was heavy, I focused on the LeaderShape Institute at Camp Kulaqua. The responsibility of facilitating curriculum for six straight days, leading faculty training, coaching faculty, and handling crises that came up drained me. I didn't expect it would be so difficult. And yet, it also filled my cup. Renewed my passion for working with college students. I was inspired by the visions they created, their healthy disregard for the impossible, and their commitment to living out their values. I laughed. A lot. I shed a couple tears. I reflected. And I learned to get by with minimal caffeine and lack of alone time. Not to mention a loss of sleep. But it was all worth it.
Knowing I would need a couple days to regroup, I visited with my aunt and uncle at their lake house on Lake Santa Fe for the weekend post LeaderShape. From sitting on the dock watching the sun set and a tour of the lake by boat to great food, wonderful quality time, and lots of rest, the weekend was perfection. I greatly admire my Uncle Alan and love spending time with him and my Aunt Linda. Such a treat to have 1:1 time with them.
Two weeks. Still processing it all.
Cheers.
A week before I was set to leave for Florida, my grandfather, who had been ill, took a turn for the worse and was moved into hospice. With my grandmother by his side, he slipped into a coma and a few days later, passed away. I was torn between this responsibility I felt to my family to be there for my grandmother, dad, and rest of the family and my responsibility to LeaderShape -- the five cluster facilitators and 60 participants who were looking to me to help them live in a world of possibility.
I visited my grandfather twice in hospice. I sat by his bedside and held his hand, told him I loved him, prayed for him, and even joined 10 members of my extended family on Wednesday evening in a toast to honor him. He passed a few hours later. Though I was unable to attend his funeral that Saturday, I joined the family for a dinner Thursday evening to honor him and have been thinking of my family since. Not being there for the funeral was tough for me but my heart was there.
| Love you, PawPaw. |
![]() |
| The 2014 UF LeaderShape Faculty. Heart these fools! |
| Sitting on the dock of Lake Santa Fe. |
Two weeks. Still processing it all.
Cheers.

Comments