Weekend Edition: OSCARS
It's 5:00pm and I may or may not already be in sweats, a frozen pizza waiting to be heated, beers a plenty, nestled on the couch catching the pre-pre-Oscar show. My kind of living. I LOVE the Oscars and am looking forward to spending the evening with the Academy Awards. A great way to cap off a quiet but enjoyable weekend that started with West Side Story at the Fox.
But for now, back to the Oscars. In keeping with last year, I've decided to state my wishes for the 6 big awards (Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress, Best Director, and Best Film) as if I were a voter (and the only one to matter). So here goes...
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer has dominated this category all over the place for her work as Minny in The Help and with good reason. She rocked the role. I'm hoping she picks up her first Oscar this evening as she deserves it.
Best Supporting Actor: I didn't see Beginners and the buzz is that Christopher Plummer is the front runner. I hear it's a film worth seeing and that Plummer deserves the award playing an elderly man who is dying and also coming to terms with his sexuality. But since I didn't see it, I have to support Nick Nolte who played a recovering alcoholic estranged from his two sons in Warrior. Warrior just might be the most underrated film of the award season. It was phenomenal. And so was Nolte.
Best Actress: Viola Davis. Hands down. She's incredible. Not only as Abileen in The Help but in almost everything she touches. Her five minute scene in Doubt was one of the best performances that year. She's sooo good you almost don't know she's acting. She becomes her character. If Meryl wins, I'll be annoyed. And though I am greatly intrigued by Glenn Close's role in Albert Nobbs, I didn't see the film (because I don't think it ever came out) and have to stick with Viola.
Best Actor: I don't much have an interest in who takes home the Oscar here. I thought Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Demian Bichir were all great in their respective films: Moneyball, The Descendants, The Artist. Some claim Bichir shouldn't win the award because he never spoke but he was excellent in The Artist. But I'd be happy with any of them. My bet is Clooney wins.
Best Director: Michael Hazanavicius for The Artist.
Best Picture: The buzz surrounds The Artist and chances are, it will take home the Oscar. As a silent film, I enjoyed and appreciated the artistic quality but did not love the film. I struggled through it. So if I were voting on art, I'd go with The Artist. If I were going on entertainment value, I'd vote Moneyball or The Help because I enjoyed both of those films the most. With The Descendants right behind. I only saw 5 of the 9 Best Picture nods but I feel confident in my vote. I am however happier this year with this category as I don't feel like any of the films were MADE with Best Picture in mind like The King's Speech was last year.
Happy award viewing! Cheers.
But for now, back to the Oscars. In keeping with last year, I've decided to state my wishes for the 6 big awards (Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress, Best Director, and Best Film) as if I were a voter (and the only one to matter). So here goes...
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer has dominated this category all over the place for her work as Minny in The Help and with good reason. She rocked the role. I'm hoping she picks up her first Oscar this evening as she deserves it.
Best Supporting Actor: I didn't see Beginners and the buzz is that Christopher Plummer is the front runner. I hear it's a film worth seeing and that Plummer deserves the award playing an elderly man who is dying and also coming to terms with his sexuality. But since I didn't see it, I have to support Nick Nolte who played a recovering alcoholic estranged from his two sons in Warrior. Warrior just might be the most underrated film of the award season. It was phenomenal. And so was Nolte.
Best Actress: Viola Davis. Hands down. She's incredible. Not only as Abileen in The Help but in almost everything she touches. Her five minute scene in Doubt was one of the best performances that year. She's sooo good you almost don't know she's acting. She becomes her character. If Meryl wins, I'll be annoyed. And though I am greatly intrigued by Glenn Close's role in Albert Nobbs, I didn't see the film (because I don't think it ever came out) and have to stick with Viola.
Best Actor: I don't much have an interest in who takes home the Oscar here. I thought Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Demian Bichir were all great in their respective films: Moneyball, The Descendants, The Artist. Some claim Bichir shouldn't win the award because he never spoke but he was excellent in The Artist. But I'd be happy with any of them. My bet is Clooney wins.
Best Director: Michael Hazanavicius for The Artist.
Best Picture: The buzz surrounds The Artist and chances are, it will take home the Oscar. As a silent film, I enjoyed and appreciated the artistic quality but did not love the film. I struggled through it. So if I were voting on art, I'd go with The Artist. If I were going on entertainment value, I'd vote Moneyball or The Help because I enjoyed both of those films the most. With The Descendants right behind. I only saw 5 of the 9 Best Picture nods but I feel confident in my vote. I am however happier this year with this category as I don't feel like any of the films were MADE with Best Picture in mind like The King's Speech was last year.
Happy award viewing! Cheers.
Comments