Tornado Sirens.
Having spent a fair number of years in Memphis, the sound of a tornado siren is no stranger to me. But I've never found myself hiding out in the basement, the bathroom or another interior room in the house. I've always simply gone on with my business while thinking to myself, "hmm, hope it's nothing serious." Well, I've never been responsible for 250+ other people before either.
So last night when the tornado sirens began going off around 11:15pm as I was drifting off to sleep, I knew I couldn't just simply stay in the comfort of my own bed and ignore it. Sure enough, there were tornado warnings all around us and the weatherman was urging everyone and their pet to seek shelter immediately. Within 5 minutes, every residence hall on campus had been contacted that we were to send all residents down to the basements STAT.
So what's a guy to do? I rounded up the troops and began banging on doors sending everyone downstairs. Students were none too happy about this but they did it anyway dressed in a variety of evening wear from being fully dressed to barely dressed. Within 45 minutes, the warnings cleared and though we had some heavy wind and rain pass through the area, we luckily did not have a tornado come through campus. Praise baby J.
After sending everyone back to their rooms and doing a building walk through to check for damage, I crawled back into bed around 12:30am and thought to myself, yep, this is my job.
Cheers!
So last night when the tornado sirens began going off around 11:15pm as I was drifting off to sleep, I knew I couldn't just simply stay in the comfort of my own bed and ignore it. Sure enough, there were tornado warnings all around us and the weatherman was urging everyone and their pet to seek shelter immediately. Within 5 minutes, every residence hall on campus had been contacted that we were to send all residents down to the basements STAT.
So what's a guy to do? I rounded up the troops and began banging on doors sending everyone downstairs. Students were none too happy about this but they did it anyway dressed in a variety of evening wear from being fully dressed to barely dressed. Within 45 minutes, the warnings cleared and though we had some heavy wind and rain pass through the area, we luckily did not have a tornado come through campus. Praise baby J.
After sending everyone back to their rooms and doing a building walk through to check for damage, I crawled back into bed around 12:30am and thought to myself, yep, this is my job.
Cheers!
Comments