RESTRICTED ACCESS

The questions have come up A LOT lately..."Why won't you let us follow you on Twitter?"..."YOU have a blog? Can we read it?"..."Why won't you tell us your blog address?"..."Are we even friends?" And the authors of these questions? My students. And in a way, I'd rather be on this end than the end where my students dislike me so much they have absolutely no interest in my life outside work. That would be a bruise to the ego no? But my standard response for all of these questions has always been the same. "No." Sometimes there's a bit more after that initial declaration but I've remained steadfast in saying that while I enjoy my students, adore my students, even love my students in some cases, I already live and work with them. So can you fault a guy for wanting a bit of privacy?

BUT...it's twitter! a blog! social media at it's finest. There's nothing private about it. And therein lies the risk of being careful what you tweet and/or blog about. Which is why I have the rule to never tweet or blog anything specific about work. Not worth the hypothetical fire down the line, you know?

I write all this knowing full well that two of my students have discovered my blog and may even read this post. Not because they searched for it in google by my name (because it won't appear) but because I had it linked to my twitter profile and even though my tweets are protected, my bio can't be. So now the blog is somewhat "out" there. For now, I'm ok with that. Who knows...maybe down the road I won't be and I'll end up locking the blog. But I've always pried myself on being authentic and transparent in my work and in my life (because the two are intertwined in so many ways) and I'm always telling my students to be authentic. So I'll continue to do and be just that.

Still, I am a tad disappointed the blog was discovered. But that's the way you roll when you put it out there!

Cheers.

Comments

Popular Posts