Doubt.
Having attended a catholic elementary (or as we new orleanians like to say "grammar") school, I was flooded with memories of my early educational formative years while watching the movie Doubt yesterday with my mom.
With regards to the movie, the film has a dark and mysterious feel to it but is definitely worth a look. If you cannot find yourself relating to the Catholic Church or to a Catholic elementary school, you will still enjoy the performances by Meryl Streep as the disciplined principal all students fear and cower from and Philip Seymour Hoffman as the priest of the diocese in the midst of a scandal. I believe both have been nominated for a Golden Globe for their performances and the film has been nominated as Best Picture. Amy Adams (also nominated)whom I haven't seen since Enchanted and barely recognized did a remarkable job as a naive, young nun and Viola Davis (whom I usually know from her performances on Law & Order: SVU) sent chills down my spine with her performance as the mother of one of the school children. Her part is small but powerful.
Seeing the students in the film dressed in their starched plaid (and ugly) catholic school uniforms reminded me of my days at St. Catherine of Siena (an SCS soldier we called ourselves). I remember being deathly afraid of Sister Imelda, our prinicpal. I'd rather pee my pants than be sent to her office. And you didn't mess around with Sister Marceline either. I swear that woman could break me. But I spent a long 9 years at SCS (I repeated kindergarden...I was a bright boy!) and have some great memories. From dressing up as Simon for the school's live production of the Passion to milk bags for lunch that I swear could have been used as breast implants to even the lunch lady who didn't hesitate to dig your leftovers out of the trash to feed the birds. Those were the days... There's been talk of a reunion for some time now. I doubt it'll ever happen but we'll see...
Cheers.
With regards to the movie, the film has a dark and mysterious feel to it but is definitely worth a look. If you cannot find yourself relating to the Catholic Church or to a Catholic elementary school, you will still enjoy the performances by Meryl Streep as the disciplined principal all students fear and cower from and Philip Seymour Hoffman as the priest of the diocese in the midst of a scandal. I believe both have been nominated for a Golden Globe for their performances and the film has been nominated as Best Picture. Amy Adams (also nominated)whom I haven't seen since Enchanted and barely recognized did a remarkable job as a naive, young nun and Viola Davis (whom I usually know from her performances on Law & Order: SVU) sent chills down my spine with her performance as the mother of one of the school children. Her part is small but powerful.
Seeing the students in the film dressed in their starched plaid (and ugly) catholic school uniforms reminded me of my days at St. Catherine of Siena (an SCS soldier we called ourselves). I remember being deathly afraid of Sister Imelda, our prinicpal. I'd rather pee my pants than be sent to her office. And you didn't mess around with Sister Marceline either. I swear that woman could break me. But I spent a long 9 years at SCS (I repeated kindergarden...I was a bright boy!) and have some great memories. From dressing up as Simon for the school's live production of the Passion to milk bags for lunch that I swear could have been used as breast implants to even the lunch lady who didn't hesitate to dig your leftovers out of the trash to feed the birds. Those were the days... There's been talk of a reunion for some time now. I doubt it'll ever happen but we'll see...
Cheers.
Comments