Oops!

We've all had those moments. Those times when your face gets really red and you wish you could take back what just happened. It might be the wave to the person you think you recognize only to find out you have no idea who they are. It might be the return wave to the person you think is waving at you only to find out they are signaling the person behind you. It may be the comment you make to the person standing next to you in the elevator thinking they are making conversation with you only to find out they are on their bluetooth device. Or it may be the hundreds or thousands of times you put your foot in your mouth realizing you goofed!

A couple years ago, I was sitting in my female coworker's office having a conversation about god only knows what (we used to talk about the most random things...) when another female coworker popped in to ask if coworker 1 had a sanitary napkin coworker 2 could have. Coworker 1 said sadly, she didn't have one. My response: "Why don't you just go wash your hands in the sink in the kitchen? It's just down the hall."Coworker 2 looked at me as if I had two heads and walked out and coworker 1 busted out laughing. I asked what was so funny and that's when coworker 1 informed me what a sanitary napkin really is. You have a sister she said. How do you not know about these things?
[Insert red face and foot in mouth]
I dunno I shrugged, I guess we never talked about those types of things...

Well now I know and as GI Joe always said, "knowing is half the battle..." It wasn't the first time something like that has happened and it probably won't be the last. But I find comfort (and humor) in knowing it happens to the best of us...more or less.

Cheers.

Comments

Jackie said…
"CBU is very diverse. We have African Americans, Asian Americans, European Americans, Mexicans, uh, Mexican Americans..."

Popular Posts