Fire.
I was sitting at home watching TV last night when my friend called asking if I knew there was a 5-alarm fire burning right up the street from me. I immediately jumped off the couch, ran outside, and looked up seeing black smoke covering the sky with increasing volume. Ambulances, fire trucks, police cars, and PEOPLE were EVERYWHERE. I quickly realized the burning building was an apartment complex I'd passed almost anytime I left campus. A newer building, the apartments inside were very nice but I did not know the clientele of the community.
Walking down the street, I was able to stand at a building directly across the street from the blaze to take the following photos:
From reading reports online, it sounds like no one was hurt in the fire, praise baby J, and about 100 tenants were able to evacuate once the fire began in a 4th floor apartment (cause unknown). However, about 15-30 pets were reported to be trapped. As of this morning, 10 pets were found and the building is no longer burning but is destroyed along with an Arby's next door.
My team and I ended up working last night to temporarily house students displaced by the fire. The residents were so calm. Perhaps in shock, perhaps resigned to the fact there was nothing they could do. I imagine I would have been beside myself if I sat there watching my apartment burn down. There's still much work to do on our end as we seek today to find out how we can best support these displaced students. And while my energy and focus is there, I'm also going to use this as a time for personal reflection and perspective. We are so blessed and have so many things going for us. How often we bitch and moan about the smallest ishes. It could always be worse.
Cheers.
Walking down the street, I was able to stand at a building directly across the street from the blaze to take the following photos:
From reading reports online, it sounds like no one was hurt in the fire, praise baby J, and about 100 tenants were able to evacuate once the fire began in a 4th floor apartment (cause unknown). However, about 15-30 pets were reported to be trapped. As of this morning, 10 pets were found and the building is no longer burning but is destroyed along with an Arby's next door.
My team and I ended up working last night to temporarily house students displaced by the fire. The residents were so calm. Perhaps in shock, perhaps resigned to the fact there was nothing they could do. I imagine I would have been beside myself if I sat there watching my apartment burn down. There's still much work to do on our end as we seek today to find out how we can best support these displaced students. And while my energy and focus is there, I'm also going to use this as a time for personal reflection and perspective. We are so blessed and have so many things going for us. How often we bitch and moan about the smallest ishes. It could always be worse.
Cheers.
Comments